The Power Kit ensures that your Arlo Essential Video Doorbell Wired receives consistent power to operate reliably. It is required for your Arlo doorbell to function, and it prevents your traditional chime from unintentionally ringing when the integrated camera is recording or live streaming.
You must use the Arlo app to install your Arlo Essential Video Doorbell Wired and Power Kit. However, you can read this article for an overview of the installation process. For help installing your doorbell, visit How do I install my Arlo Essential Video Doorbell Wired?.
What you need?
You need the following to install the Power Kit for your Arlo Essential Video Doorbell Wired:
- The Power Kit that came in the box with your Arlo Essential Video Doorbell Wired
- Know the location of your doorbell chime box
- The Arlo app
Check the compatibility of your chime box
Before installing the Power Kit, you must check whether it is compatible with your existing chime box. To do this, you must first locate the chime box in your house. Chime boxes are typically found on a wall near the doorbell.
Your chime box might have wires only, wires and batteries, or batteries only. Depending on the configuration, the Power Kit might not be compatible with your chime box.
Determine what is inside your chime box:
Wires only. If your chime box provides between 16-24V AC, it is compatible with the Arlo Essential Video Doorbell Wired.
Note: A lower voltage is common in Europe, so a doorbell transformer is provided in Arlo Essential Video Doorbell Wired products that are purchased in Europe.
- Wires and batteries. Your chime box is compatible with the Arlo Essential Video Doorbell Wired.
- Batteries only. Your chime box is not compatible with the Arlo Essential Video Doorbell Wired. If you still want to install an Arlo Essential Video Doorbell Wired, consult an electrician to replace your chime box with a wired doorbell and chime, with voltage between 16-24V AC.
Install the Power Kit
- Remove the Power Kit from the box.
- Locate your existing chime box
Note: Chime boxes are commonly mounted on a wall near a doorbell.
- Turn off your power at the breaker.
Warning: Failure to turn off your power might result in serious injury.
- Remove the cover of your chime box.
- Attach the wires from the Power Kit to your chime box’s terminals.
Note: Follow the in-app setup instructions to connect the Power Kit wires to the correct terminals.
- Place your Power Kit somewhere in the chime box.
Make sure to place the Power Kit in a safe spot in the chime box, where it will not interfere with the operation of the chime. See the suggested placements and areas to avoid, as illustrated in the Arlo Essential Video Doorbell Wired setup process in the Arlo app.
After you install the Power Kit, you can install your Arlo Essential Video Doorbell Wired. For more information, visit How do I install my Arlo Essential Video Doorbell Wired?.